Monday, March 21, 2011

Oystercatchers are here...

A plethora of emails reporting American oystercatchers to me over the past two or three days reminded me that I hadn't flagged up the fact that small numbers had been trickly by over the past week. Just twos and threes so far, but more will come. Reports have been received from Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor and South Cape May. Deb Shaw also reported a Tricolored Heron at Sea Isle on Sunday which looks like being the first of the year at Cape May.


These two pictures of American Oystercatchers bathing at Avalon last Friday were sent in by Beth Polvino - nice pics Beth!

And while I'm putting up pictures, I'll put up this one, which I've had for a while from Karl Lukens but haven't found a spot to post it in! Poor old Red-bellied Woodpeckers are often derided for not living up to their name but - as you can see - if you get the angle right, they have got a red belly!!

No comments: