Thursday, August 30, 2007

CMBO Hidden Valley walk

"Well, I was planing on walking Hidden Valley anyway", I said to myself as I arrived to find the tiny parking lot almost full. There was one spot open and I grabbed it.

It has been some time since I've walked in the "valley" and I decided to head there today because it can sometimes be good when migration conditions were not the most favorable over night.

When I realized I recognized some of the cars in the lot, it dawned on me that this was a CMBO walk taking place. Still, I was happy to see cars especially at Hidden Valley as I think this spot is too under-birded anyway. Since this was a CMBO walk I figured that once I caught up to the group I might just hang in the back and adopt a few birding partners for the morning.

All in all a nice morning, nothing earth shattering to report. In fact a relatively low diversity but there were good numbers of Eastern kingbirds (still) and many Baltimore and a few Orchard orioles.

Below is a short report from George Myers of birds seen at Higbee Beach WMA on Wednesday 8/29.

"Some observations from Higbee Beach Wed morning 8/29, 7-9:15AM. A decent flight of 35+ Baltimore Orioles and several Red-eyed Vireos, along with 100+ Eastern Kingbirds. Also 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches, 3 American Redstarts, and singles of Ovenbird, Veery, Tennessee Warbler, and Northern Waterthrush."


Location:Cape May - Hidden Valley Ranch
Observation date: 8/30/07
Number of species: 27
Wood Duck 2
American Kestrel 2
Mourning Dove 18
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Northern Flicker 16
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 285
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Blue Jay 6
Purple Martin 1
Tree Swallow 7
Barn Swallow 6
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 6
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 8
American Robin 16
Gray Catbird 3
Northern Mockingbird 4
European Starling 33
Cedar Waxwing 99
Common Yellowthroat 1
Northern Cardinal 8
Bobolink 30
Common Grackle 23
Orchard Oriole 2
Baltimore Oriole 18
This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

No comments: